Vincentian House Pungavadi
|Patron||St. Mother Theresa|
|Address||Vincentian House, Pungavadi P.O., 636141, Attur Taluk, Salem Dt., Tamilnadu, India.|
01. Fr. Chungakarottu Joseph - Superior & Asst. Finance Officer
02. Fr. Palakattu Thomas - Parish Priest & Finance Officer
01. St. Mary’s Primary School (1928)
02. Our Lady of Health Parish (2004)
03. De Paul Tailoring Institute (2007)
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
The St. Joseph’s Province of the Vincentian Congregation desired to have a new Mission in the Diocese of Salem since our first Missions of Adaikalapuram and Denkanikotta are in Dharmapuri because of the bifurcation of the Diocese of Salem. At our request the Bishop of Salem Rt. Rev. Dr. S. Singaroyan invited us to his Diocese and handed over the Mission of Pungavadi with five sub-stations having 215 Catholic families with 810 Catholics. This Mission was a sub-station of the Parish of Gangavalli in the Taluk of Attur, in the District of Salem, 48 k.m., north east of Salem. Rev. Fr. Sebastian Padinjarekuttu was its first missionary. We stated our Mission at Pungavadi on September 12, 2003. Meanwhile we stayed at the parish of Gangavalli. Later a small Vincentian House was built in the diocesan property under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Padinjarekuttu. The house was blessed on March 9, 2004, by Rt. Rev. Dr. S. Singaroyan, the Bishop of Salem, and was inaugurated by Very Rev. Fr. George Arackal, the then Superior General. Heavenly Patroness of the house is St. Mother Theresa.
Pungavadi was erected as an independent Parish on 3 July 2004. The new Parish comprises of Pungavadi, Kadambur, Paithur, Manjini and Valayamadevi Villages. Rev. Fr. Sebastian Padinjarekuttu was appointed as the first Parish Priest. Heavenly Patroness of the Parish is Our Lady of Health. A Primary School, which belongs to the Diocese, is also entrusted to us. Meanwhile we have purchased 1.40 acres of land for the purpose of a Dispensary working under the aid of Living Hope Medical Foundation, Hawaii.