Vincentian House Thodupuzha
|Patron||St. Vincent De Paul|
|Address||Vincentian House, Thodupuzha East, 685585, Idukki Dt., Kerala, India.|
01. Fr. Athickal Jacob - Superior
02. Fr. Chettoor Jose - Asst. Provincial Superior & Principal, De Paul Public School
03. Fr. Kollakkottil John - Finance Officer V.H. & Director, School Retreats
04. Fr. Moolecherry Joseph - Finance Officer, De Paul Public School & Internal Auditor of the Province
05. Fr. Nediyakalayil Joseph - Finance Officer, De Paul Eng. Med. Hr. Sec. School
06. Fr. Panthackal Joseph - Pastoral Ministry
07. Fr. Pullattu Dinil - Principal, De Paul Eng. Med. Hr. Sec. School
01. Shrine of St. Jude (1959)
02. De Paul Eng. Med. Hr. Sec. School (1964) - Tel: 04862 222252
03. De Paul Press (1967)
04. De Paul School of Printing Technology (1988)
05. De Paul Computer Centre (1994)
06. De Paul Public School (1998) - Tel: 04862 229155
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
Thodupuzha was one of the rapidly developing towns in Diocese of Kothamangalam. Sri M.M. Mathew Mungamackal, a prominent citizen of Thodupuzha and the Head Master of the Govt. High School, approached the Superior General with a request to start an Ashram of the Congregation there. As the authorities of the Congregation were in favour of the suggestion, the representatives of the people under the leadership of Sri M. M. Mathew visited the Bishop of Kothamangalam, Mar Mathew Pothanamuzhi and convinced him of the need to open a Vincentian House in the town. There were no Churches or Religious Houses in the town. People belonged to parishes of Muthalakodam and Thenamkunnu at the periphery of the town. It was the felt need of the people living in the town and those who come there for various purposes to have a Church to attend the Holy Mass and for other spiritual needs. Sri Mathew also convinced the Bishop of the need to have a good catholic school of high standard for the growing town. The Bishop gladly welcomed the idea and gave the necessary permission to the Congregation authorities.
The place identified for the Ashram was to the south of the town by the side of the road leading to Muthalakodam and Karimannoor. This place was also the centre of the spices market. It was a beautiful hillock overlooking the town with one side looking like a fertile valley and good for cultivation. The land was purchased from two Muslim brothers of very traditional and noble family living nearby. The place for building the Ashram was selected and the day for laying the foundation stone was fixed to be May 2, 1959 and Mar Mathew Pothanamuzhi blessed the foundation stone for the first House of the Vincentian Congregation in the Diocese of Kothamangalam. It was during the next phase of development that more land was purchased and we began the De Paul English Medium Schools and the press near the gate of the Ashram. Thodupuzha Ashram served as the head quarters of the Regional Superior from 1987 when St Joseph Region was formed and of the Provincial Superior till the blessing of the Provincial House of St. Joseph Province at Kottayam in 1993.
It was in 1964 that the dream of beginning an English Medium School at Thodupuzha was fulfilled. Sri. M. M. Mathew who was the D.E.O. at that time greatly helped us to actualize the idea. In the beginning the classes were conducted in a temporary shed and in the Church building. A beautiful two-storied building came up at the top of the hillock and the classes were shifted to it in 1971. Afterwards a hostel building was constructed between the School and the Ashram. As the School developed there was great demand for admission. It came to a situation that the School could attract enough admissions even without the hostel facility and so it was discontinued. The building served as the minor seminary for some time.