Houses

Vincentian Fathers Uvinza


Established Year2004
PatronSt. Francis Xavier
Diocese Kigoma
AddressVincentian Fathers, P.O. Box No. 17, Uvinza, Tanzania, East Africa.
Phone00255 755000035
CountryTanzania
Members

MEMBERS

01. Fr. Chalackal Antony - Parish Priest

02. Fr. Kallerikanjirakadan Joseph - Finance Officer V.H. and De Paul School, Asst. Parish Priest & Member, Popular Mission Team

03. Fr. Pokkathumadathil Justin - Superior; Principal & Boarding Director

Institutions

INSTITUTIONS

01. St. Xavier’s Parish

02. De Paul School (2006) - Tel: 00255 754260225

03. De Paul Boarding for Boys and Girls

Description

HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES

The missionaries first came to Uvinza in the diocese of Kigoma, Tanzania in 1946 and St. Francis Xavier Parish was erected in 1951. They continued their work here until 1956 and then they shifted the parish center to Kasulu which is 70 kms away from here and Uvinza remained a substation of Kasulu. As the number of faithful increased Bishop Paul M. Ruzoka of Kigoma requested us to take over the parish. We responded favourably and it was officially handed over to the Vincentians in October 2004. Rev. Fr. Joseph Elanjickal was our first missionary to Uvinza and was appointed Parish priest. He started to stay in a rented house from October 26, 2004. At present the Parish has got 11 Substations and 3 Independent Christian Communities. As per our agreement with Diocese we use the Presbytery of the Parish as the Vincentian House.

In 2008, under the leadership of Fr. Geejo Pattath we have started a school in Uvinza which is known as De Paul Mission School with Pre-primary and Primary section. The construction work of the school with five class rooms started in March 2008 and was blessed and inaugurated on 7th March 2009 in the presence of Rt. Rev. Protase Rugambwa, the bishop of Kigoma. The project was funded by Fr. Bill's Foundation and the parish of Mauren in Liechtenstein, where Rev. Fr. Anto Poonoly is the pastor. Rev. Fr. James Kallumkal, the then Provincial Superior, laid the foundation stone for the staff quarters on that day. The staff quarters was blessed by Fr. James Edavazhithara on March 19, 2010. We started boarding for girls and boys also in 2010.