Vincentian Fathers Masaka
|Address||Vincentian Fathers, Divine Mercy Renewal Centre, Kabulassoke, P.B.No. 613, Masaka, Uganda, East Africa.|
01. Fr. Karalathukaran Raphael - Superior; Director & Spiritual Director of St. Vincent’s Seminary, Mitemula
02. Fr. Parathanal John - Finance Officer, Asst. Director & Vocation Promoter
01. Divine Mercy Renewal Centre (2008)
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
Divine Mercy Renewal Centre (DRC) is the first Vincentian residential retreat centre in Uganda. It is in the diocese of Masaka, about 15 kilometers away from Masaka town on Mbarara highway in Kyingosub County, at Kabulassoke Village. In February, 2005 Rev. Fr. Joseph Kuruppamparambil conducted his first convention at this place and thousands of people attended the event. After the convention, two generous persons donated this land to Fr. Kuruppamparambil for a retreat Centre and the Province also bought some more acres which in total is 25 acres of land. During the next two years Fr. Kuruppamparambil conducted a few conventions here which gave Vincentian congregation a root in this place to start a retreat centre.
Vincentians were invited to Masaka Diocese by Rt. Rev. John Baptist Kaggwa on 7th August 2005. The foundation stone for Divine Mercy Centre was laid by Very Rev. Fr. James Kallunkal, the Provincial Superior on 23rd November 2006. Fr. Joseph Kuruppamparambil laid the foundation stone for the Vincentian House on 6th September 2007 and Rev. Fr. Antony Vadakkemury was appointed in-charge of the construction. It was blessed by Rt. Rev. John Baptist Kaggwa the Bishop of Masaka and was opened by Rev. Fr. Thomas Njarackal, the Assistant Provincial, on 23rd February 2008. On 27th September 2008 this house was canonically erected as a Vincentian House by the decree of the Provincial Superior. Rev. Fr. Francis Kochuparambil was appointed the first Superior. Daily Mass was started, retreat was conducted from time to time, and one-day programs on monthly basis.
On 28th June 2008, Rt. Rev. John Baptist Kaggwa laid the foundation stone of the Divine Mercy Church and on 17th March 2009 the church was blessed by the same local ordinary and opened by the then Provincial Superior, Very Rev. Fr. James Kallunkal.
On 5th May 2009, Rev. Fr. Joseph Marottiparambil was appointed the first director of the Centre. The preaching ministry started regularly by then and retreats conducted once in two months. A dormitory was constructed for the purpose of residential retreat. We have 15 acres of coffee plantation and 1000 pine trees. Around 300 people come for the one-day program on every Thursday and approximately 1200 people, for residential retreats. We do help the parish church to celebrate Mass on Sundays in the substations. We have some major challenges in the Centre, namely electricity and water. For electricity we depend on solar power and for water, on rainwater harvesting.