Vincentian Fathers Kigoma
|Patron||St. Vincent De Paul|
|Address||Vincentian Fathers, P.O. Box No. 771, Kigoma, Tanzania, East Africa.|
01. Fr. Naduchirayil Mathew - Finance Officer, Asst. Parish Priest & Member, Popular Mission Team
02. Fr. Vellaramkalayil Devasia - Superior & Parish Priest
01. St. Vincent De Paul Parish Church
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
Kigoma is in the Western most part of Tanzania bordering with Burundi. We came to Kigoma at the invitation of the then local ordinary Rt. Rev. Alphonse Nsaby. He offered us a religious house built by the Franciscan Conventuals at Katubuka. In 1986 Rev. Fr. George Manalel, the then Superior General visited Kigoma Diocese and considered the request. At that time the Vincentians were working in the diocese Mbeya. Due to lack of personnel we were forced to wind up that mission and took up Kigoma in 1988.
Fr. James Edavazhithara and Fr. Jose Adapoor reached Vincentian House Katubuka on 3rd July 1988 and started our ministry officially. In 1989 two other Mass centers were added to Katubuka Parish and later they were raised to the status of Parish. The construction of the parish Church started on 8th September 1993 and was blessed on 23rd July 2000. It is a huge and beautiful church, which can accommodate around 1800 people. There is a beautiful perpetual adoration chapel in front of the Church. The parish is having 5 stations and more than 11000 faithful. Except the pastoral activities of the parish, there is no other institution under the house. In 2014 we started construction of a secondary school and the construction is progressing. This house keeps sweet memories of late Rev. Fr. Luke Mattappillichira and Rev. Fr. Thomas Plackal. Both of them were buried in Kabanka, near Kigoma.