Vincentian House Pachalam
|Patron||St. Pius X|
|Address||Vincentian House, Pachalam, Kochi, 682 012, Kerala, India.|
01. Fr. Kochuparambil Francis - Superior & Finance officer, De Paul IMD and GiFT
02. Fr. Manalel George - Director, Counseling Centre
03. Fr. Pampackal Joseph - Director, Social Services
04. Fr. Parekkattil Joseph - Higher Studies
05. Fr. Punchal Philip - Finance Officer V.H.
06. Fr. Vettiyadan Thomas - Director, GiFT Cochin and De Paul IMD & In Charge of Goodness Studio
01. St. Pius X Church
02. De Paul Women’s Welfare (1971)
03. De Paul Inst. of Management Development - IMD (2004) - Tel: 0484 2401801
04. De Paul Inst. of Counseling & Clergy Affirmation Centre (2007) - Tel: 0484 646886305
05. Goodness Inst. of Film & Television - GiFT (2014) - Tel: 0484 2406240
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
Vincentian House Pachalam traces its origin in 1957. Our Congregation received 40 cents of land including St. Pius Xth Chapel in Pachalam from the Ernakulam Cathedral Church. The efforts of two priests belonging to Ernakulum-Angamaly Archdiocese, Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Chiramel, the then vicar of Ernakulam St. Mary’s Cathedral Church and Rev. Fr. Thomas Veluthedath in procuring this land for the Congregation are to be thankfully remembered. Very Rev. Fr. George Mannara was the Superior General of the Vincentian Congregation. His Grace Mar Joseph Parekattil, the Archbishop of Ernakulam was much interested in establishing a Vincentian house here and gave the formal sanction on 20th April 1957. There were some hurdles with regard to shifting the tenants from the sites. Only in May 1958, we took possession of the land fully and began the construction of boundary walls.
Archbishop Mar Joseph Parekattil laid the foundation stone of the Pachalam House on August 15, 1958. The construction works of the boundary wall took place under the leadership of Bro. Zacharias Erattakkuzhakkal and the construction of the building was undertaken under the guidance of Mr. Uthup Gopurathinkal, the caretaker of Angamaly House. Pachalam Vincentian House was blessed by Mar Joseph Parekattil on March 10, 1960 when Rev. Fr. Jacob Kallarackal VC was the Superior General of the Vincentian Congregation. Rev. Msgr. Thomas Nedumkkallel, Rev. Fr. James Paliyakunnel and Rev. Fr. Xavier Kadiyamkuttiyil looked after the affairs of the House for five months until a stable appointment was made at Pachalam. On 6th August 1960 Rev. Fr. Joseph Thuruthikkatt was appointed Superior of the Pachalam House. For some time the house functioned as a care home for retired priests and as a hostel for students.
In 1963 De Paul Press and Vincentian Publishing Bureau came into existence as result of the sincere efforts of Rev. Fr. Thomas Puthiyakunnel. A magazine entitled ‘Almaya Preshithan’ was published from this institution. However, the press functioned till 2000; Publishing Bureau ceased to function.
Gradually several ventures were started attached to the Pachalam House. Rev. Fr. Mathew Thoyalil began ‘Shrinikethan Vocational Training Centre’ in 1968, Rev. Fr. Mathew Kachappilly initiated Child Welfare Centre and Free Dispensary in 1969 and De Paul Women’s Welfare in 1971, Rev. Fr. Xavier Elambassery started De Paul Paper Works in 1972 and Rev. Fr. Joseph Pampackal began Bethsaida Retreat Centre in 1992. Among these initiatives the women welfare is functioning till now. Others stopped functioning. However, these creative initiatives had been instrumental in showering God’s blessings to the lives of many people during its period of functioning.
In the beginning, Masses were celebrated in the front room of the house. When Fr. Mathew Kachappilly was the superior here, he made great sacrifice for constructing a church and his efforts were fruitful and St. Pius Xth Church was built by him in 1972. It was a two storied building – Ground Floor was the church and First Floor was a Hall for meetings and Sunday classes. The church was blessed by Cardinal Joseph Parekattil on 9th December 1972.
In preparation for forming provinces, the congregation was divided into Regions. Pachalam House was made the temporary regional headquarters of the Marymatha Region. When Marymatha Province was formed in the year 1990, Pachalam House functioned as the Provincial House for two years.
De Paul Institute of Management Development (De Paul IMD) was started in the year 2004 by Fr. Thomas Njarackal. It was started in a rented building. In the beginning various courses for NGO’s were conducted here. In 2007 it was shifted to the present building. Now various courses are offered here with the collaboration of different universities.
De Paul Institute of Counseling and Clergy Affirmation Centre was established in June 2007, by the initiative of Fr. George Manalel. Though the service of the counseling centre is open to all, main focus is on helping priests, sisters and seminarians. Screening programs for the candidates for priesthood and religious life are also conducted.
Goodness Institute of Film and Television (GiFT Cochin) was established on 15th May 2014 as an advanced media education institution under the De Paul Education Trust managed by the Marymatha province of Vincentian Congregation. GiFT is an approved centre of C-DIT & SiDCO under Govt. of Kerala. Rev. Fr. Daison Vettiyadan was appointed as the Founder Director. We offer a wide range of courses in different sectors of film and television. It is also associated with Divine/Goodness Television channels to provide hands on training and placement for its students. GiFT Cochin strives to mould media professionals who can raise the industry standards through creative communication.