Novitiate House Balesugiri
|Address||Vincentian House, P.B. No. 1, Meenangadi, 673 591, Wayanad Dt., Kerala, India.|
01. Fr. Avangattu Joseph - Director, St. Vincent’s Balanagar
02. Fr. Muthupurayidathil Varghese - Finance Officer & Estate Manager
03. Fr. Nedumthuruthil Philip - Superior & Novice Master
04. Bro. Kodiyan Joseph - Regent
01. Balesugiri Estate (1958)
02. Novitiate House (1967)
03. St. Vincent’s Balanagar (1976) - Tel: 04936 247490
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
As an income generating project for the Congregation, about 35 acres of un-cleared land was bought in the year 1958, near Meenangady on the Kozhikode- Mysore highway and planted coffee there. The source of fund for the project was derived from the sale of a property donated by Rev. Fr. Thomas Manjaly, a benefactor of the Congregation, in Pallamthuruth, North Parur, for the maintenance of seminarians. Rev. Bro. Joseph Kuzhikandathil was entrusted with the responsibility to look after the property, develop it and cultivate. Scarcity of water and extreme cold weather at Kottagiri made the superiors of the Congregation to think of shifting the novitiate to another place. There was a suggestion of building a Vincentian house for the novices at Balesugiri. But failing to find a water source for a large community, the plan was temporarily shelved. Later, when a spring was discovered to the east of the estate, the issue of water scarcity was resolved and finally decided to construct the novitiate house at Balesugiri.
Rev. Fr. Luke Nambiaparambil, who was in charge of the estate, was given the added responsibility of constructing the Novitiate house. In the month of January 1968, Rev. Fr. Joseph Thurithikattu, the Novice Master and the Novices from Kottagiri came to Balesugiri and eventually completed their Novitiate. The then Bishop of Tellicherry, Mar Sebatian Valloppilly officially inaugurated the novitiate house on 1st May 1968. Rev. Fr. Sebastian Karikuluam laid the foundation stone for the chapel on 29th November 1978. Construction works progressed steadily and Mar Jacob Thookumkuzhy, the Bishop of Mananthavady, blessed the new chapel on 8th December 1979.
It was the beginning of a new chapter in the history of the Novitiate house when the decision to partially rebuild the 1968 constructed building Twas made. Hence, the novitiate was temporarily shifted toVincentian house, Kalichanadukkam. Having made modifications in the De Paul College building, Rev. Fr. Davis Arackal, V.C. the Novice Master and the novices, moved to it.
The novitiate was temporarily shifted to Vincentian house, Kalichanadukkam in 2007, during the construction works of the new building. When the new building was ready the Novitiate was shifted back to Balesugiri on 21st October 2008. Mar Jose Porunnedam, the Bishop of Manathavady diocese blessed the new building in the presence of the then Major Superiors, Rev. Fr. Varghese Puthussery (Superior General) and Rev. Fr. James Kallumkal (Provincial Superior).
There was an increasing desire to get into the field of social work very concretely from the side of the Major Superiors and also from the confreres of the Novitiate house. Therefore an orphanage was built in the site adjacent to the main plot in Balesugiri on 31st October 1974. In the presence of the Superior General, Rev. Fr. George Kammattil, the inauguration of St. Vincent’s Balanagar was solemnized by Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy, the then Bishop of Mananthavady.