Vincentian Vidyabhavan Aluva
|Address||Vincentian Vidyabhavan, P.O. Box 603, Aluva, 683102, Ernakulam, Kerala, India.|
|Phone||0484 2604404, 2609404|
01. Fr. Chiraparamban Varghese - Superior & Rector
02. Fr. Erambil Joseph - Spiritual Director
03. Fr. Pullan Paul - Vice Rector & Finance Officer
HISTORY AND PRESENT ACTIVITIES
It was a long cherished dream of the Congregation to have a study House for the seminarians to stay and study together. Students were regularly sent to the major seminary from 1948 when we started our own minor seminary. They were sent to Mangalapuzha Seminary as part of the quota of seats of Ernakulam Archdiocese. This arrangement became difficult as the number of seminarians for the Archdiocese steadily increased. The authorities of Mangalapuzha Seminary especially the rectors of that time Rev. Fr. Aurelian, Rev. Fr. Michael Angel and Rev. Fr. Victor, the procurator (later he became the Bishop of Kuwait) took a favourable attitude towards us in the case of admissions. We were also helped by the authorities of the Major seminaries of Pune, Poonamallee and Mangalore. It was not enough to meet the increasing needs of the Congregation as far as number of seminarians concerned. Moreover it was felt that as the seminarians had to stay for long period of seven years in other seminaries the Vincentian formation was not adequately imparted to them. It was as an answer to these difficulties that we tried to find a place for a Study House somewhere close to Mangalapuzha and Carmelgiri. Cardinal Eugene Tisserant the Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches was very much interested in the growth and development of the Vincentian Congregation and he made available a grant for the construction of a Study House in May 1958.
With this the effort to buy land and start the construction was intensified. A plot of land almost equal distance from both the seminaries and on the banks of river Periyar, measuring 3 acres and 83 cents was purchased. The right side of the property extended to the river. Later we purchased three more properties adjoining the first and extended the whole plot up to the river. The foundation stone laying ceremony was conducted by Rev. Fr. Michael Angel the rector of Mangalapuzha Seminary in the presence of the members of the Congregation and the priests from the seminary on November 27, the Feast of our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. As per the wish of the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Churches with regard to the future development the foundation for the whole building was completed first. The Southern wing was completed only much later. The blessing and inauguration was done by Mar Joseph Pareckattil, Archbishop of Ernakulam on April 20, 1960. The patron of the Study House named as ‘Vincentian Vidhyabhavan’ was Child Jesus. Rev. Fr. A. D. Mattam who returned after securing a Doctorate in Philosophy from the Gregorian University in Rome was appointed as the first rector of Vidhyabhavan. There were six theology and 18 philosophy students to start with.